Monday, September 17, 2007

Revised Prospectus Final

Topic question: What is the difference in sushi qualities? (Sushi made in a supermarket vs. sushi made in a specialty restaurant)


Sub-questions:
1. What is involved in setting the benchmark for the quality in various pieces of sushi?
2. How do you differentiate between the qualities?
a. What is good sushi vs. bad sushi?
b. Sanitation levels?
c. Preparation?

Sushi is one of my favorite foods. I like to eat many kinds of sushi and raw fish and it all tastes very good to me. I do notice that some places I eat sushi does not taste as good as sushi I eat at another place. Some places the rice is too dry or the fish is left out in the open for a long time such as in buffet lines and it does not look as appetizing. I have not specifically thought about a rating system for the quality of sushi I eat, but subconsciously I still stay away from those pieces that look to be in worse condition than others. I did a quick search on sushi preparation and it looks as though the fish is flash frozen to kill off anything it might have picked up while it was being cut from the fish.

I will further investigate the aspects of sushi preparation in order to develop a quality guideline. This will include how the fish is prepared, stored, transported, handled, and the appearance and any other aspects I find along the way. Are there certain techniques that arose that better equip the Japanese when perfecting the art form of sushi preparation, for example? Are there certain methods of quality control to ensure one does not get sick from eating an unappealing piece of sushi vs. an appealing piece? Although there might not be any set quality list already in place, I can research the proper handling and preparation of sushi and develop the standard list of sushi quality and anything that is less than optimal way in the standards will be deducted points of quality.

No comments: