Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Blogsignment: Kulthau Response & Revised Prospectus

In reflection on my topic question and drawing from the comments made on my blog, I have decided to tweak my topic. Instead of focusing on sushi preparation, I will investigate the types of fish commonly used and the preparation techniques which allow raw fish to be safely consumed. I will explore how the raw fish is stored, transported, and handled to ensure illness does not occur.

*****

How is raw fish prepared to ensure it is safe to eat?

Sushi is one of my favorite foods. I rarely think about why I do not get sick from eating the raw fish, and that’s where this question arises. Why don’t I get sick? What is it about how the raw fish in sushi is prepared to ensure I do not contract any food borne illnesses? I do not think I have ever gotten sick from eating sushi. I did a quick search on sushi preparation and it looks as though the fish is flash frozen to kill off anything it might have picked up while it was being cut from the fish.

I will further investigate the aspects of raw fish preparation. This will include how the fish is stored, transported, and handled to ensure illness does not occur. Are there certain techniques that arose that better equip the Japanese when perfecting the art form of sushi preparation, for example? What factors must be in place so that organisms will not be able to sustain life in the raw fish? These are the different aspects I can think of pertaining to raw fish preparation and it should be fairly easy to find the necessary information in answering this topic question.

*****

Kulthau's theories are fairly accurate with what I am experiencing in the early stages of this project. I started out not really knowing what I wanted to research. There was some confusion and vagueness as to what exactly I wanted to explore. It seems now as I begin to explore my revised topic, I'll be able to find some promising information so I feel good about it. Kulthau's theories are pretty good and are almost exactly what I am feeling from these first few steps.

No comments: