Friday, December 14, 2007

Expert Interview

Interview with James from Arigato Sushi, Sacramento, CA on December 1, 2007

1. How familiar are you with general sushi preparation and techniques?

-My father was also a sushi chef in Japan, so I've grown up around sushi so I'm very familiar
with sushi techniques.

2. Are you aware that sushi is not only in Japan and the United States, but in many other
countries as well?

-Yes, I am. It is a very popular food and is growing popularity all the time.

3. Do you know what might have caused the spread of sushi from Japan to the US or other
countries?

-Sushi is different. Non-Japanese are intrigued by the nature of sushi and new food and like to
try it. Those who try it tell their friends and it spreads from there. I'm not sure, but if
anything I think that is how sushi spread to other countries a long long time ago.


This interview with the expert sushi chef while I was eating sushi at the restaurant helped give me even more insight into my topic. It let me realize just how important personal preference is and I was able to do more research to find some more out about globalization of Asian food to other locations and cultures. James was a cool guy and I'm glad he agreed to have the interview with me.

No comments: